HOW TO WRITE ABOUT MUSIC
Do you love music and writing?
This one-day class, led by music critic Kate Hennessy, will guide you through the fun and (usually) festive world of music journalism.
Aside from the chance to chat to your music heroes and report from the front line of festivals, music writing is a great way to develop your writer’s voice, while covering records and gigs you love – or hate – and becoming a valued part of musical communities (without picking up a guitar).
This class is for you if...
- You’re a student who wants to improve your writing and reviewing techniques
- You’re an aspiring music journalist who wants to improve your general skills
- You’re in music publicity or management and want insight into the editorial side of the business or want to sharpen your bio skills
- You love gigs... and the written word!
The class will cover the basics of how to write about music. There will be time for questions and practical exercises to practise your skills and sharpen your ear.
Topics on the day include
- Dos and don’ts for beginners and how to get started
- Finding your niche and writing about “what you know”
- Identifying your strengths and weaknesses
- Four frameworks including critic versus reviewer
- Tips to do a great interview
- The 6 core skills music writers need to succeed
How to pitch music editors
- Learning to listen
- What mistakes you might be making and how can you fix them
- How to write a great live review or record review
- Headline-writing practise
- Navigating bad reviews and telling it like it is
- The realities of being paid
Participants will explore these issues in an interactive, fun environment using hands-on listening and writing exercises. This course is to encourage attendees to find their editorial voice in an open environment where no question is a bad question. Kate will provide plenty of good and bad examples, outlining what to aim for and what to avoid. You will leave the class with the practical tools and confidence needed to begin – or more confidently continue - your music writing journey.
WHEN: Saturday 4 November, 10am-4pm
WHERE: Meeting Room, Salamanca Arts Centre
REGISTER: $65 per person (includes lunch). Click here to REGISTER