Music Tasmania is the peak industry body representing Tasmania’s music sector and is part the Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN), along with Music Victoria, Music NSW, WAM, Music ACT, QMusic and Music NT. Our mission is to develop, promote and advocate for the music industry, which comprises artists and bands, live music venues, promoters and festivals, music retailers, educators, along with small businesses specialising in areas such as production, management, and other support services.
Established in 2009, Music Tasmania represents the interests of over 190 financial members, including individual artists, bands, music businesses, organisations and music fans.
Through our online platform Our Music Industry we profile 250 Tasmanian artists, bands and music businesses, along with 27 live music venues and 17 Tasmanian festivals. Music Tasmania works strategically with public and private sectors to increase opportunities for Tasmanian musicians and raise awareness about the value of the industry.
The organisation is nonprofit and receives funding from the Tasmanian Government, through Arts Tasmania and the Minister for the Arts, through APRA AMCOS, and the City of Hobart.
Our partnerships with Tasmanian festivals and events, including Falls Music and Arts Festival, Junction Arts Festival, Party in the Paddock, and the Taste of Tasmania, ensure that local musicians are a highlight of our key events. Our major corporate partners include Travel Beyond, Virgin, and WIN TV.
We believe in a community that values music, where artists and music businesses can create, live and thrive in Tasmania to realise their full potential.
Music Tasmania develops, promotes, and advocates for the music sector in Tasmania.
Artist and sector development
- Develop the capacity and capability of the music sector in Tasmania.
- Support and champion the creation and presentation of original music compositions.
- Nurture talent by providing opportunities and addressing skills gaps.
Live music and regional development
- Celebrate and champion live music
- Ensure regional musicians can participate fully in the Tasmanian music industry
- Develop regional audiences
Market development and showcasing
- Increase audience engagement with original Tasmanian music
- Enable opportunities for Tasmanian artists to tour and showcase out-of-state
- Promote Tasmanian music and the island as a music-making destination
Advocacy and strategic initiatives
- Inform and influence decision-makers to recognise the cultural, social and economic value of contemporary music
- Provide evidence-based research to support policy development and investment
- Collaborate with others to benefit Tasmanian musicians and music businesses
- Partner with others to increase the reach and relevance of Music Tasmania state-wide
- Diversify funding to ensure viability
- Ensure the organisation is adequately resourced to be able to deliver outcomes
What does success look like?
Paid performance opportunities for Tasmanian musicians increase
High-quality original Tasmanian music is developed
Tasmanian audiences experience a diverse range of music experiences
Tasmanian artists gain local, national, and international success.
To find out more about Music Tasmania, check out what we do.