Music Tasmania is the peak industry body representing Tasmania’s contemporary music sector and is part the Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN), along with Music Victoria, Music NSW, WAM, Music ACT, QMusic and Music NT. Our mission is to develop, promote and advocate for the music industry, which comprises artists and bands, live music venues, promoters and festivals, music retailers, educators, along with small businesses specialising in areas such as production, management, and other support services.
Established in 2009, Music Tasmania represents the interests of over 190 financial members, including individual artists, bands, music businesses, organisations and music fans.
Through our online platform Our Music Industry we profile 250 Tasmanian artists, bands and music businesses, along with 27 live music venues and 17 Tasmanian festivals. Music Tasmania works strategically with public and private sectors to increase opportunities for Tasmanian musicians and raise awareness about the value of the industry.
The organisation is nonprofit and receives funding from the Tasmanian Government, through Arts Tasmania and the Minister for the Arts, through APRA AMCOS, and the City of Hobart.
Our partnerships with Tasmanian festivals and events, including Falls Music and Arts Festival, Junction Arts Festival, Festival of Voices and the Taste of Tasmania, ensure that local musicians are a highlight of our key events. Our major corporate partners include Travel Beyond, Virgin, and WIN TV.
A community that values music, where musicians and music businesses can create, live and thrive in Tasmania to realise their full potential.
Music Tasmania develops, promotes and advocates for the music sector in Tasmania.
Artist + sector development
- To support and champion the creation and presentation of original music compositions;
- to nurture talent by providing opportunities for development and addressing skills gaps through targeted initiatives; and
- to develop the capacity of the music sector in Tasmania and encourage greater cooperation.
Audience + market development
- To promote the talent and diversity of Tasmania’s musicians and the island as an inspiring music-making destination;
- to implement a strategic approach to export that will increase the number of export-ready artists and opportunities for Tasmanian artists to showcase nationally and internationally; and
- to increase audience engagement and appreciation of original Tasmanian music in the community.
Collaboration + partnerships
- To partner with other organisations and facilitate valuable opportunities for Tasmanian artists to develop their practice, access new audiences and raise their professional profile;
- to collaborate with others increasing the reach and relevance of Music Tasmania state-wide.
- To inform and influence decision-makers and other key stakeholders to champion Tasmanian music and recognise its cultural, social and economic value.
To find out more about Music Tasmania, check out what we do.